Welcome to the Metro Arms 1911 Forum Archives.

Metro Arms and BersaChat have teamed up.
Please sign up and join us at our main website, Bersa Chat, http://bersachat.com

Thread: Somehow a Ruger LCR followed me home!

Currently in Paris, Tx in the process of moving to Greenville, Tx.

Somehow a Ruger LCR followed me home!

Well I guess I have to fess up....I kind of led it home! My wife and I have discussed getting a wheel gun for quite a while now. I researched a lot of different lighter weight revolvers and I kept coming back to the Ruger LCR. We first considered the 38 +P LCR but I got to thinking (very dangerous territory for me)if I got the 357 all of the caliber options would be available and it is still very light weight and just as concealable even with me pocket carrying it. Long story short...I bought it!
    Yesterday the wife and I took a couple of hours off from clearing fence rows to shoot our handguns. I got a box of WWB (I know...crappy ammo...but cheap) and fired off 50 rounds of 38 caliber. We wanted to start low and work up to
    the 357 ammo. I was delighted with the results. To me it shot fairly softly and was as accurate as I was at least. The trigger is very smooth for a DAO revolver. My wife had no trouble either and loved it as well. This is going to be a great carry and or backup gun. Oh...the price was $500.00 which is a decent price from what I have seen. I have two other Ruger's which have been very reliable and I'm sure this one will be as well.

Founding Member (First 100) mktacop's Avatar

Re: Somehow a Ruger LCR followed me home!

Congrats on the new firearm!
    WAR EAGLE!

www.bslbullet.com

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member
    NRA Range Safety Officer

"A government that does not trust its law abiding citizens to keep and bear arms is its self unworthy of trust." -James Madison

Quote Originally Posted by ares338 View Post
    Well I guess I have to fess up....I kind of led it home! My wife and I have discussed getting a wheel gun for quite a while now. I researched a lot of different lighter weight revolvers and I kept coming back to the Ruger LCR. We first considered the 38 +P LCR but I got to thinking (very dangerous territory for me)if I got the 357 all of the caliber options would be available and it is still very light weight and just as concealable even with me pocket carrying it. Long story short...I bought it!
    Yesterday the wife and I took a couple of hours off from clearing fence rows to shoot our handguns. I got a box of WWB (I know...crappy ammo...but cheap) and fired off 50 rounds of 38 caliber. We wanted to start low and work up to
    the 357 ammo. I was delighted with the results. To me it shot fairly softly and was as accurate as I was at least. The trigger is very smooth for a DAO revolver. My wife had no trouble either and loved it as well. This is going to be a great carry and or backup gun. Oh...the price was $500.00 which is a decent price from what I have seen. I have two other Ruger's which have been very reliable and I'm sure this one will be as well.
    eat more possum, it's easier to grill with the 357 loads.....you can roast'em, toast'em and turn their lights out all with one BIG flash! why not get a 454? I saw a 45-70 revolver at lgs a couple weeks ago, want me to pick that up and ship it to you...oh yeah, you probably don't have a pocket big enough to put that 45-70 in, it looked like it should come with it's own carriage and loading team...LOL
    Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

Well...I figure if i shoot the critters on my farm with a big enough boolit then I won't have to deal with the carcass.....it will just disintegrate. 45-70 huh? I could have my pocket enlarged and tell everyone it was just a few bricks I carry for self defense.

Well...I figure if i shoot the critters on my farm with a big enough boolit then I won't have to deal with the carcass.....it will just disintegrate. .
    Actually works - shot a 16 inch mud turtle with 44 mag...poof no more Mr. Turtle. oh boy now SPCA and half a dozen other identities will be after me.

yep 45-70 revolver Sovereign Guns Fuquay-Varina, NC - thing is HUGE

I know that stopping an aggressor is in large part shot placement but when I line the 9mm and the 357 cartridge up side by side, the 357 is strangely more comforting. Of course it would be ideal to have the 357 in a large frame metal mutha where recoil is negligeable but I like the idea of carrying all of this firepower in my own little pocket. However my favorite hand cannon to shoot will always be the venerable M1911.

I keep a keltec 380 in my pocket, with Glock or 1911 on hip concealed.

357 too much flash bang for me, I've never been able to quite handle the CRACK it makes with hearing protection or without protection...oh gosh, just mentioning that makes my ears start to bleed.

I am pretty much saving my pennies for taking a 45 Colt N-frame and having major mods made to it - 3 or 4 inch bbl, probably bob the hammer and go with super slick DAO, and have a company that specializes in cutting the cylinder make it so I can shoot 45ACP on full moon clips, I have new 100 clips, a really slick clip loader/unloader so I'm good to go with six hundred rounds preloaded...I just now need to get the pistol and have the mods made. I gave a tricked out 45 Colt 25-5 to a late friend of mine (Let's call him Edwin) about 25 -26 years ago, a now deceased smith in Mechanicsville Virginia named Fredrick Schmidt ( former U-boat captain (that was actually an inside joke started by a former SOG Recon guy)), crane had double detents on it, DA was smooth as cutting butter set out on a July 4th picnic, SA was damn scary, breath on that trigger and she would let off, then Fred sent it off and had the entire gun armoloy coated - 6 six bbl. About two years ago (maybe more) my friend's son calls me up and tells me of his dad's passing and that he has my gun, the guy is crying and all that BS, so I just let it go.....gone forever now. There's a Randal knife in Greensboro on a guy's mantel (8 inch number 2, walnut handle with my name and SSN etched on opposite side from randall logo, done by them at my request) that I gave him, just because he was in my Sunday School class and just kept on about always wanting a Randal knife and never being able to afford one.

I just sold an American Classic II to a VERY famous SOG Recon person that is an authority on sniper activities and such, it will be interesting to see if he winds up here on the forum. Somehow I think probably not, who knows it could happen. Back to my books, over and out!

I shot my LCR yesterday along with my AC Commander and Sig P290. I must have been crazy because it must have been at least 105 frickin' degrees out on that range. I warmed up with abut 40 rounds of 38 130 gr FMJ before moving on to the Remmington UMC 125 gr semi jacketed hollow points. This must be a fairly hot load in this ammo. Does anyone know about or have shot this ammo? Of course this round of 357 recoils heavily but if you are prepared it is easy to control. I must say this round is very accurate and I have not had any problems with it. I would however like to find a factory ammo that loads a little less bang for the buck ( still 357 though ) if you know what I mean. If anyone has any suggestions for a middle of the road 357 load I would appreciate it very much.

Founding Member (First 100) bcrtops's Avatar

I'd just go with .38sp+P for defense & shoot .38sp for practice. You don't gain much by going to 357 in that short barrel. You did gain a little weight by going with the .357 (steel frame) version & will be less recoil in the .38's. Good choice in that regard. These revolvers are nice smooth shooters, despite what the all metal snobs say about them.

It's PLASTIC too???? A 357 OMG

I know a great hand and wrist surgeon, he put mine right back together when no one else could and several tried before him.
    Last edited by SKYDOG308; July 27th, 2012 at 08:26 AM.

Hah..I ain't skeerd! I will come flying across the pasture; a 357 LCR in each hand blasting the wholly crud out of the evil coyotes. I don't shoot 357 just a whole bunch but every time I shoot 38's I shoot at least 5 rounds of the wrist pounders. I actually like the accuracy of the 38 +P, so that is what I load when I carry the LCR. It is kind of liberating to shoot a wheel gun....no failure to feed or eject or brass smacking me between the eyes....LOL.

Hah..I ain't skeerd! I will come flying across the pasture; a 357 LCR in each hand blasting the wholly crud out of the evil coyotes. I don't shoot 357 just a whole bunch but every time I shoot 38's I shoot at least 5 rounds of the wrist pounders. I actually like the accuracy of the 38 +P, so that is what I load when I carry the LCR. It is kind of liberating to shoot a wheel gun....no failure to feed or eject or brass smacking me between the eyes....LOL.
    yep, I know what ya mean about reliability and brass, my little 380 is very reliable, but not a bone crusher like your 38/357, and it does drop brass all over the place, like billy goat droppings, revolvers do leave the scene nice and clean.

I looked at some .380's last weekend at the gun show. They sure are the right size to conceal but I can't find anywhere to hold on to them....lol! There's not enough gun to hold on to. The LC9 and SigP290 is as small as I can shoot without my fingers getting all tangled up.

Administrator
    R.I.P 26 Feb 2017

A 380 or 32 KelTec always in my pocket. No matter what else Iam packing .
    I deal carry pistol in revolver was made several years back. It was a S&W model 13 round butt 3inch bull barrel 357. This I have always said was the perfect carry revolver It was for FBI but got lost in the Got to have more firepower need a auto BS. After the Miami Shoot out in the mid 80's
    Certified Armed Infidel

"You call 911, I will call on 1911"

"Hokey religions and plastic glocks are no match for a good 1911 at your side, kid."

"Just say "Lay A Way"

"WWJBD" What Would James Bond Do?

Miami thing was more like. "Where is my revolver?", most had taken them out of their holsters and were not wearing body armor when they started the demolition derby with the bad guys, heck one revolver was laying out in the middle of the road. MP5's in the trunk, two of their team allegedly at a diner up the main drag having fun with the waitress.....they can't blame the revolver....they went 10mm...and President went nuts with another piece of gun control legislation. It was a bad day for all of us.

I have a Bersa Thunder .380 that is a great gun. Accurate, reliable and very concealable and comfortable to carry.
    I have choosen to keep Hornady Critical Defense rounds in it and the backup mag.
    I have an Uncle Mike's pocket holster for it where it spends most of its time - usually in cargo pants/shorts pockets, jackets or sweatshirts.
    This is another gun that I trust completely.

Hey all....a small update on my LCR. I have been sort of struggling with my accuracy on this revolver and of course the problem was trigger control. All I did was take a correct grip and let my trigger finger fall where it naturally falls. It's happens to be right at the distal joint....you know...the one everyone says to not use to press the trigger. This way i am pressing the trigger straight back and not exerting ant lateral influence on the revolver. I even shot 25 rounds of 165 gr. 357 magnum ammo and got 4 inch groupings. For me...this is wonderful. Sometimes you just have to do what feels best.