Welcome to the Metro Arms 1911 Forum Archives.

Metro Arms and BersaChat have teamed up.
Please sign up and join us at our main website, Bersa Chat, http://bersachat.com

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Snub nose

Administrator
    R.I.P 26 Feb 2017

Snub nose

How many of us own a snub nose revolver besides our 1911's and other autos. I have a model 49 (real bodyguard) A no - model and a per model 36 It was made before S&W started with the model thing Mine was made in 1955 and has a 3" barrel . I also have a old Charter Arms 44 spl 3" snub (Son of Sam type )
    Whats in your safe or night stand.
    Certified Armed Infidel

"You call 911, I will call on 1911"

"Hokey religions and plastic glocks are no match for a good 1911 at your side, kid."

"Just say "Lay A Way"

"WWJBD" What Would James Bond Do?

Founding Moderator (First 100) PHMadness's Avatar

Re: Snub nose

66-2 with 2 1/2" barrel. There's pics in the other thread.

Founding Moderator (First 100) Mason's Avatar
    Masonia, Just Past the Northwest Territories

A S&W 642 (.38Sp), S&W 32 (38S&W),Taurus 85 (.38Sp) and a FireStorm (.38Sp)... Some are in the pic over on the Show your revolver strand..
    It ain't easy being me!

Founding Member (First 100) darrellkansas's Avatar

A Rossi 461 and a S&W 637
    As soon as you send me that Original Charter .44 special I have one of them also

Ma has her S&W airweight. photo posted in the photo thread.

Founding Member (First 100) JarE-3's Avatar

I have a Taurus 85SSUl that rides on my ankle on duty. Off duty it gets shared time with my M&P 9 and my A.C. Commander. What I really wanna do is rig up something for under the dashboard of my car. Ever try drawing from the strongside hip with a seatbelt and cover garment on? Not fun. I figure the lil 85 would be the perfect candidate for what I have in mind. I just need to figure out how to rig it.

Seems I've seen something on a setup that hangs in the front or side of the seat. Don't have the foggiest of where I saw it, but seems like something like that might be easier to do. Although, I guess under the dash might be more secure when you were out of your vehicle.

Special Guest Moderator 1911Tuner's Avatar

I like snub-nosed .38 revolvers. Thought not technically a "Snub" one of my favorite carry guns is a 3-inch round butt Model 13...and the ammunition isn't the venerated 125-grain JHP flashencracker stuff that seems to be the darling of gun writers. I carry handloaded ammunition in mine, even though it's considered to be a big no-no. It consists of the Speer swaged 158-grain SWCHP and 7 grains of Unique, for an honest mv of about a thousand fps.

I maintain a hundred-round lot so it can be made available for testing if need be...and is demonstrably lower in power than commercial offerings in that bullet weight. Recoil is manageable. Blast and flash are low, and it's head and shoulders above the popular .38 Special +P FBI load that's rated at 940 fps, but in reality doesn't usually break 900 in the real world.

The real snubs...the Smith 5-shot J-frames...are excellent little revolvers, and perfectly capable of addressing an up-close and personal fight for life. I carry the standard pressure 158-grain LSWC in mine. If your velocity has to be compromised, the best route is to go with bullet mass. I think that far too much is made of velocity and energy anyway, and in the situations that the snub-nosed revolver is made for...you'll likely be fighting off a knife or club with one hand while clawing for the gun with the other. In that light...the muzzle will probably be in contact with the attacker's body when the trigger is pulled...sending a plug of hot gas into the wound behind the bullet and increasing the effectiveness exponentially. In fact, it's probably better to think of the bullet as a mechanism that creates an opening for the real stopping power to come into play. Even the much derided 158 lead RN will do.

Neither do I worry much over 25-yard accuracy from these little blasters. They're not target pistols, and while they may be capable of delivering one ragged hole...they don't lend themselves well to such shooting. They're strictly business and they were designed for a singular purpose. An emergency tool for that one in a million "Up to Your Crotch in Crocodiles" nightmares that we hope will never come.

My nightstand gun? A heavy barreled Model 10 that looks like it lost a fight with a sand blaster, but is mechanically sound with an action that's as smooth as buttered glass.
    The ammunition is standard 158-grain SWC. The little revolver is complimented by the short-coupled coach gun with exposed hammers and #4 buckshot that stands in the corner within arm's reach once I'm on my feet. With a house full of dogs in various places, and two outside...there's no being taken by surprise here. They'll alert me to a presence before they even set foot on the property.

Administrator
    R.I.P 26 Feb 2017

I have been after a round but 3" 13 for years . Are you sure you not been in my house . We both have pretty much same set up in 38spl and the coach gun also. I have a 5" M&P in place of your heavy barrel 10. Use 158 in all of them also I just don't reload. .

Do I need to start you a S&W section also.
    Certified Armed Infidel

"You call 911, I will call on 1911"

"Hokey religions and plastic glocks are no match for a good 1911 at your side, kid."

"Just say "Lay A Way"

"WWJBD" What Would James Bond Do?

VIP Founding Member (First 100) bobbysfd's Avatar

Taurus 85

Founding Member (First 100) kurmudgon's Avatar

Put me down for a third.
    Had eleven dogs in the home once, some have passed on, picked up some, got eight now. Several are getting old, sadly...but they live well and are enjoyed tremendously.

I don't know without counting how many weapons are in the crumbled abode.
    I picked some up to look into, not look at.

I carry a 3" SP 101, with 357 125gr Federals (I have an in when it comes to 357's ..) and a Colt 25cal auto.

Wife has weapons "around", if you know what I mean.
    Only have two S&W wheel guns, both snubs. Sometimes I carry the 38 too, I'm too lazy to reload, don't 'cah see. The other is a 22LR with adjustable sights, used for fun and youngster instruction.
    I'm never fooled into thinking someone with a snub is under gunned. When I could still see I could shoot most anyones snub into 8" and less at 100yds.
    Contact distance is brutal, seen autopsy pictures.
    Have several other brands of snubs...heck, I just remembered I have a Lew Horton 44spcl 3" too. Senior minute there....

A gaggle of shotguns. A hammer coach double, a pile of pumps, and a 10 shot auto the Bride won"t let me shoot but will let me clean. Not sure how that happened...

Assorted rifles, including a Barrett M-95 for when nothing else will do.

Sorry, I see I got into a ramble on mode.
    Best, Kur
    Last edited by kurmudgon; September 16th, 2011 at 07:35 PM. Reason: spelun, allweys spelun
    "When I die I'm going straight to Heaven, 'cause I served my time at Coonan Arms."
    (During a conversation, "back in the day", with Dan in the middle of some night while we were getting parts ready.)

Hmmm. Brothers from another mother maybe...

Well...I dunno about the Smith & Wesson forum. I've done a lot of work on Smith revolvers...mostly action tuning and the like, but never any really involved repairs like barrel replacement and setting barrel/cylinder gaps. Not that I can't. I'm a toolmaker by trade, so it would be right up my alley. Just haven't done it.

Revolvers are my first love, especially single-actions and K-frame Smiths...but the more I fool with L-Frames, the better I like'em. For me, the K-Frame is the hands-down favorite, though. Seems like I always come back to'em.

Founding Moderator (First 100) pollyb's Avatar
    Lone Star State .. .................of mind

I'm fortunate enough to have my father's S&W 38 Chiefs Special (no model number) sn 492XX round butt with 2" barrel purchased new in 1951 or 52 ? His carry piece over 25 years and 1st handgun I ever fired.

regards jab
    Last edited by pollyb; September 17th, 2011 at 04:49 PM.
    Long story short, jab is a male.

Kur...Welcome to the Snub Club. 18 dogs here. 14 in the house full time with two more that sleep inside and in when it's too hot...too cold...or raining. Huskies.

Are you anywhere near Manitowoc/Two Rivers?

Banned

I've got a Ruger LCR .357 Magnum.

Founding Member (First 100)

Dan Wesson 15-2 with 2" snubbie barrel
    jr

VIP Founding Member (First 100) Falcon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JarE-3 View Post
    I have a Taurus 85SSUl that rides on my ankle on duty. Off duty it gets shared time with my M&P 9 and my A.C. Commander. What I really wanna do is rig up something for under the dashboard of my car. Ever try drawing from the strongside hip with a seatbelt and cover garment on? Not fun. I figure the lil 85 would be the perfect candidate for what I have in mind. I just need to figure out how to rig it.
    I took a Black Hawk Serpa and mounted it under the steering wheel to the dash. I'm right handed so I used a lefty holster to mount flat to the dash with small bolts. Not pretty, but it works.

Founding Member (First 100) trailblazer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Michael T View Post

Do I need to start you a S&W section also.
    that'd be nice.

TB

Taurus model 603 2in

Ruger SP101 .357 w/CT grips.