Welcome to the Metro Arms 1911 Forum Archives.

Metro Arms and BersaChat have teamed up.
Please sign up and join us at our main website, Bersa Chat, http://bersachat.com

Thread: Les Baer on TV Last Night

Les Baer on TV Last Night

It was probably a re-run, but I enjoyed it just the same. All the hand work of fitting and filing was pretty impressive. If I had the $$$ and wore a younger mans clothes I'd have one.
    When I was young I spent a lot of money on booze, boats, gals and guns. The rest of it I wasted.

Founding Member (First 100) kurmudgon's Avatar

Re: Les Baer on TV Last Night

This is from youtube.
    Is it the same as you saw?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dpdy8QQ-Y-Q&feature=g-u

K & E
    "When I die I'm going straight to Heaven, 'cause I served my time at Coonan Arms."
    (During a conversation, "back in the day", with Dan in the middle of some night while we were getting parts ready.)

One of the local gun stores had a Baer in his display case for a while. I knew I'd never spend that much for a pistol, so didn't ask to handle it, but it did look nice from a distance. Their accuracy guarantee would be wasted on me!

VIP Founding Member (First 100) bobbysfd's Avatar

I haven't ever shot one but have looked at a couple which wealthy friends have, they are simply perfect

VIP Founding Member (First 100) R.Ph. 380's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mitchr View Post
    One of the local gun stores had a Baer in his display case for a while. I knew I'd never spend that much for a pistol, so didn't ask to handle it, but it did look nice from a distance. Their accuracy guarantee would be wasted on me!
    They don't let me shoot on the Baer range, Heck, I'm even surprised i got to post here, I can't afford to even look at one, but they are NICE
    'I'm not fat, I'm tactically padded' (stolen from another forum)

The Bill Of Rights. (Void where prohibited by law.)

45 ACP because once is plenty

Quote Originally Posted by kurmudgon View Post
    This is from youtube.
    Is it the same as you saw?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dpdy8QQ-Y-Q&feature=g-u

K & E
    Yeah. That's the one.

Quote Originally Posted by mitchr View Post
    Yeah. Seriously.

Administrator
    R.I.P 26 Feb 2017

I have met and talked to him and his gunsmiths. They are nice people. He is a car nut also has a warehouse full of classic cars . Like Hemi Cuda Real 2 seat Cobras Real 350 Shelby 60's mustangs Blown mustangs bucket T and so on . His prices are not that bad really Dan Wesson is approaching his lower price pistols and Ed Brown and Wilson make more expensive pistols.. If you all chip in You can buy one and I will shoot it for you. I will keep safe and clean . You send ammo and I will return your target. To show how good you did .
    Certified Armed Infidel

"You call 911, I will call on 1911"

"Hokey religions and plastic glocks are no match for a good 1911 at your side, kid."

"Just say "Lay A Way"

"WWJBD" What Would James Bond Do?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael T View Post
    I have met and talked to him and his gunsmiths. They are nice people. He is a car nut also has a warehouse full of classic cars . Like Hemi Cuda Real 2 seat Cobras Real 350 Shelby 60's mustangs Blown mustangs bucket T and so on . His prices are not that bad really Dan Wesson is approaching his lower price pistols and Ed Brown and Wilson make more expensive pistols.. If you all chip in You can buy one and I will shoot it for you. I will keep safe and clean . You send ammo and I will return your target. To show how good you did .
    Better yet, MT, you could buy one & put it up for an on-going Karma. The winner gets the pistol & 100 rounds of ammo (also furnished by you) & when the ammo is gone, they have to put it & 100 rounds of ammo up as a Karma for the next guy. You might even be able to sweet talk Baer into providing the pistol, because he'll probably receive a few orders from some of the richer members, like you, Tuner & Kur.

Administrator
    R.I.P 26 Feb 2017

I am not rich I live in a shack paid 15K for it years ago . Afer it failed to sell at auction I am just a poor disablied vet trying to make ends meet on VA and SSN . In fact I should be a obama supported as Iam poor, some what uneducated, and living on gov hand outs. Maybe I should rethink this election I could use a little more income and food stamps be nice. Free cable and internet service Like to move little house closer to big house. That getting to be a long walk on cold nights He might get me a indoor out house that be nice. Toss in a free lifetime supply of Mtn Dew and Icecream and I will be a good Dem.
    Certified Armed Infidel

"Hokey religions and plastic glocks are no match for a good 1911 at your side, kid."

"Just say "Lay A Way"

Special Guest Moderator 1911Tuner's Avatar

Whew! The techniques that a few of those "Top Pistolsmiths" used with their files caused me to cringe.

Quote Originally Posted by 1911Tuner View Post
    Whew! The techniques that a few of those "Top Pistolsmiths" used with their files caused me to cringe.

Odds are they were not actually building pistols in those shots & was done strictly for effect, as all hollow wood output.

Special Guest Moderator 1911Tuner's Avatar

I'm pretty sure those were real pistols, and "sawing" a file back and forth is bad form, even on wood. On steel, it'll wreck the file pretty quickly.

Oh, I have no doubt they were real pistols, but were they actually doing any filing or just going through the motions? Only reason I suspect it, is that you'd think Les Baer would have 'smiths that were aware of that. Also, my perception of hand fitting a pistol, is that you file a little & check, file a little more & check.

Michael T is right about the price of most Les Baer models being a bargain when compared to Wilson Combat, Cabot, Nighthawk and other high end 1911's. You get more bang for the buck. Three years back I purchased a Les Baer Monolith Heavyweight at a great price from Bud's. It's a pure joy to shoot, I hit the range with it every weekend and it has never failed to impress. I rat-holed spare change and sold some attic junk til I finally got this baby and it was well worth it and I'm a long way from being rice & famous, just a 60 yr old construction worker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Administrator
    R.I.P 26 Feb 2017

Several of us here managed to save and buy Dan Wesson's pistols when they were still a bargain. Used today my bobtail selling for about 1/2 again what I paid for it. But they got all full of them selves and went up on price to more than I would pay. I would buy a Les Baer before another DW.
    Certified Armed Infidel

"Just say "Lay A Way"

Quote Originally Posted by Michael T View Post
    Several of us here managed to save and buy Dan Wesson's pistols when they were still a bargain. Used today my bobtail selling for about 1/2 again what I paid for it. But they got all full of them selves and went up on price to more than I would pay. I would buy a Les Baer before another DW.
    I agree on this one...I paid $849 for my CBOB and a year later $939 for my Pointman 9. They went uphill from there.