Welcome to the Metro Arms 1911 Forum Archives.

Metro Arms and BersaChat have teamed up.
Please sign up and join us at our main website, Bersa Chat, http://bersachat.com

Thread: A.C. commander slide issues need help from others with AC commanders

A.C. commander slide issues need help from others with AC commanders

Hello guys and gals. Over the past months my interests in 1911s have turned into a passion and I decided to dive into a ground-up build head first. All of the parts for this build are raw finish, stainless or hard chrome, and have come together to make a beautiful pistol thus far. Shopping for a slide that wouldn't put me over budget didn't leave a lot of options other than black so I was more than thrilled to find the AC commander slides available in hard chrome. I picked up a .45 cal slide (part number MA45001ACCCH) for a very reasonable price from the eagle imports website, along with some other parts like a grip safety, slide release etc. After waiting nearly a full week to get a shipping confirmation and another handful of days for the parts to actually arrive I finally had my slide. It even came with a set of sights installed which surprised me since they were pictured without sights on the website. I'm guessing this slide was installed on a gun at some point but maybe not.

Now here is where the problem starts. The slide sent appears to be for a 9mm pistol. The ONLY marking on the slide other than the AC commander logo is a single number "9" stamped under where the firing pin stop fits in place. Having read that some manufacturers are using 9mm firing pins in all caliber slides I figured that was the same for american classic guns. So I continued to assemble it not thinking anything was wrong at this point. I fit a brand new .45 barrel to the AC slide filing down the sides of the barrel hood for a perfect fit to the breech. Then I decided to run a few dummy rounds through the action to make sure everything cycled as it should. That's when everything went to hell in a handbasket. First dummy round pushed into the barrel but jams the slide, because the breech face is far too narrow for a .45 round to seat. So the round just sits on top of it with nowhere to go.

20160913_023305.jpg

In the image above you can see a dummy .45 round sitting on top of the slide. Pretty obvious it's not fitting in there. I contacted eagle imports who sold me the slide, they want me to send it back so they can compare it to others they have. Apparently they do not even offer the slide in 9mm as a replacement part so they are baffled as to how I ended up with one. I have read that the AC slides are hand fit at the factory, which I was assuming meant the slide to frame fitment. Surely they are not hand filing the breech of each pistol, right? What do you guys think? I'm just looking for other opinions before I begin the long process of sending the slide back, waiting for them to check it out and sending a replacement (which hopefully has a set of sights on it, I'll be disappointed if I get a raw slide in return)

Part of me is thinking just buy a 9mm barrel, extractor and a couple mags and just be done with it, but I really wanted to build a .45

For you .45 commander guys, what is stamped under your firing pin stop? Anyone help shed some light on this mystery?

Re: A.C. commander slide issues need help from others with AC commanders

Welcome to the forum. I'm one of those guys that changing out the grips is about the extent of my gun smithin' experience, but someone should be along that can help. I would think that the "hand fitting" would apply only to assembled pistols, but could be wrong.

You can be sure that Eagle will solve the problem & make it right. They are good folks to do business with.
    Think Green.......Recycle Congress

Certified Armed Infidel

Right Wing Extremist

In modern 1911's, barrel hoods approximate calibers: .450, 10 and 9mm, but I've never handled a gun made by MAC. Breeches obviously should match case heads but some makers cut only one size for 9 and .40 (I think Metro doesn't make .40's).

Your barrel will have to be rebuilt, welded up with as little heat as possible (Mig?), and then recut to fit the new slide. Btw that's where accuracy and durability come from and you might need a little more than a file and a good eye , like a jig.
    There's a few more things about barrel fitting, like the way it impacts the frame. It might be covered here: http://www.blindhogg.com/gunsmith/barrel.html and on some barrel makers or gunsmiths websites like
    http://www.schuemann.com/Portals/0/D...n%20manual.pdf
    http://www.m1911.org/testkit.htm.

Also 9 and .45 might need different ejectors, depending on reliability and where the cases fly.

thanks for the responses folks I appreciate them.

I am going to buy another .45 barrel and fit it to a proper caliber slide. While I'm sure it's possible to weld it up and re-fit it, I don't trust my welding skills on a critical part such as a barrel. I appreciate the links KG, good info there and a couple more specs I can check when fitting my new barrel to the correct slide. Going to send the 9mm slide back to them on monday via priority mail, and try to wait patiently for the replacement to arrive. In the meantime if anyone else has info on how the metro arms slides are fitted or stamped I'm all eyes and ears.