Welcome to the Metro Arms 1911 Forum Archives.

Metro Arms and BersaChat have teamed up.
Please sign up and join us at our main website, Bersa Chat, http://bersachat.com

Thread: ANY ONE CARRY CONDITION ZERO

Administrator
    R.I.P 26 Feb 2017

ANY ONE CARRY CONDITION ZERO

Was having this discussion on another board . Condition Zero 1911 . round in chamber hammer cocked No more dangerous than a glock

On todays 1911 with thumb safety off you still have grip safety and on a Colt the series 80 trigger must be pulled to fire.
    In a good holster covering the trigger Why not. Kimber has Swartz safety It releases on grip safety. Smart people have the Colt design . Colt rejected the Swartz safety in 1939 I believe as not needed . Series 70 best keep trigger covered .

If left handed and no ambi safety this is fast . No fumbling to flip safety on L/side off .

Yesterday I carried all day this way . No 1911 leg . no discharge at all . Now remember Browning had no thumb safety on his 1910. It was military that wanted . As this was a cavalry pistol. and horses get excited in combat sometimes They decided the safety was better than trying to lower the hammer .While sitting on a excited horse. So really pistol was never designed to carry all times C&L but only when combat forth coming .

Yea or Nay on condition O
    Certified Armed Infidel

"You call 911, I will call on 1911"

"Hokey religions and plastic glocks are no match for a good 1911 at your side, kid."

"Just say "Lay A Way"

"WWJBD" What Would James Bond Do?

Re: ANY ONE CARRY CONDITION ZERO

I can see where it may be safe to do so & I can understand it being an advantage for a lefty with no ambi safety, but I just feel a little better with it on & have practiced sweeping it off when drawing. I've had the thumb safety get knocked off & not knowing when it happened, couldn't say how long I'd carried it in that condition that day, but it didn't go off.

I guess my main concern would be for when I actually had an incident when I had to draw for real. Even though I've made it a habit of keeping my trigger finger off of the trigger any time I pick up a pistol, even when I know it is empty, I can't help but wonder if under stress & the need to get a quick shot off, I might forget that rule. When I practice with a safety on, it stays on until the pistol clears the holster & is on it's way to level. If I have an ND, at least it's going to be pointed in the right direction, or maybe at the BG's feet.
    Last edited by mitchr; February 12th, 2016 at 11:50 PM.
    Think Green.......Recycle Congress

Certified Armed Infidel

Right Wing Extremist

mitchr I agree wholeheartedly my brother. I have no problem with Michael T and his practice of carrying. But I've always carried my 1911's cocked & locked with the thumb safety on. I just feel more comfortable this way.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

I have to agree with mitchr and DLeeHarley,The safety is there for a reason,use it !!!!!Why tempt fate ???? If you are lefty than buy a gun with an ambi safety or practice using your forefinger to drop the safety.Better to be safe than sorry.JMO!!!!
    America-Love It or Leave It

Been carrying a 1911 for over 46 years and always cocked and locked. Can't see changing from that now.

Administrator
    R.I.P 26 Feb 2017

Quote Originally Posted by DLeeHarley View Post
    mitchr I agree wholeheartedly my brother. I have no problem with Michael T and his practice of carrying. But I've always carried my 1911's cocked & locked with the thumb safety on. I just feel more comfortable this way.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
    Like I said pistol was designed with out thumb safety Military wanted that . Military also said could only chamber a round with action was certain . Other wise empty chamber
    Before the ambi safety I carried condition 2 chamber hammer down . I could draw cock hammer and fire very fast. Come from shooting SA revolvers when younger. In 70's and 80's Not every body carried locked and cocked Condition 2 was ok and was preferred for night stand and carry by many . Lots carried in Condition 3 . Once again a lot of the C&L came from Cooper Weaver and games . . Lot of people carried guns tucked in pants no holster . Today that looked down on also .

"The safety is there for a reason, use it" Like I said the cavalry wanted it To secure the pistol while trying to settle a scared horse Not as a method of carry . Hammer on a 1911 was designed to be easy to cock. Military had carried SA revolvers for years. So cocking one was natural . Like I said I could draw and fire very quick one handed. SA revolver was my training pistol as a kid same as the cav boys.

Today with dam ugly in the wav beaver tails bob hammers and other need less ad ons . You can't really draw and cock . Can't even reach hammer on many .
    I am sitting here with my Officer on It has a ambi safety so I have C&L make you happy . My 1941 Colt has a nice spur and I can draw and cock it.

Ive had several Ambi safeties break that joint is weak and will spread out with a lot of use like practice.

Wilson make a good one at 150 bucks that will last THe 50 or so dollar ones are not worth bring home.
    Certified Armed Infidel

"You call 911, I will call on 1911"

"Hokey religions and plastic glocks are no match for a good 1911 at your side, kid."

"Just say "Lay A Way"

"WWJBD" What Would James Bond Do?