Welcome to the Metro Arms 1911 Forum Archives.

Metro Arms and BersaChat have teamed up.
Please sign up and join us at our main website, Bersa Chat, http://bersachat.com

Thread: Rock Island Armory M-5 Issue ??

Rock Island Armory M-5 Issue ??

These are a couple of Rock Island Armory M-5 shotguns I picked up several months ago. I've had them both out since, and ran around a hundred rounds of various loads through them. Both 2-3/4" and 3" Magnum buckshot and slugs, as well as different bird shot loads.

The guns themselves run fine, but I'm having difficulty with both of them having the heat shields move forward from recoil. Has anyone else experienced this with this model? The heat shield is held to the magazine tube by a couple of 3/16-18 screws. They are a "combination" Phillips Head & slotted head. The worst of both worlds.

I was thinking of getting a couple of Button Head Allen or Torx screws to replace them with. It's very difficult getting the factory screws tight enough. It's kind of a crappy design. By rights the heat shield should be pinned to the magazine tube to prevent this. I hate to do that because you're altering the firearm, and that could cause warranty issues. Not to mention cosmetically it could look like crap if the gunsmith Bubba's the job. Something I'm always in fear of in today's gunsmithing world.

I'm seeing this problem with these guns on other Internet forums like this one, so I'm not alone. I may try the Allen or Torx screw deal, but if that doesn't work, I'm not sure how to proceed at this point?

Re: Rock Island Armory M-5 Issue ??

Welcome to the forum billt. Are the screws loosening up, or is it that they just don't bite into the magazine tube enough to hold them? If loosening up, try some Loctite thread locker in addition to the screws with allen or Torx heads. If just not biting into the magazine tube, maybe the screw material isn't right plus your idea of using screws with a better method of tightening them.

The screws are not loosening. I just cannot get them tight enough.

Your idea of getting screws with allen or torx heads may help. Could you possibly mark the contact points on the magazine tube, then just slightly flatten that area so the screws get a better grip? Otherwise, contact the RI warranty center & see what they suggest.

Administrator
    R.I.P 26 Feb 2017

Try sticking/glueing something on the tube like a little piece of rubber, 1/2 Velcro . for the screws to stick to tube to slick . My self I see no need for a heat shield on a shot gun. Goes with pistol grips (note not pistol grips that are part of a stock that doesn't fold) I don't think you can shoot and load fast enough for barrel to really get that hot. Takes a while to reload a shot gun That allows time for cooling .
    Certified Armed Infidel

"You call 911, I will call on 1911"

"Hokey religions and plastic glocks are no match for a good 1911 at your side, kid."

"Just say "Lay A Way"

"WWJBD" What Would James Bond Do?

You might try to lightly sand the areas that make contact on the shield and where it contacts. Clean and dry with brake clean and then try a little loctite on that area and assemble. The Loctite is #680 which is something I use to retain bearings, bushings etc on transmissions. I found that a little reminant on the steel table will stick whatever lays on it for more than a few minutes. It then takes a lot of force to break the bond.

Quote Originally Posted by gtgeorge View Post
    You might try to lightly sand the areas that make contact on the shield and where it contacts. Clean and dry with brake clean and then try a little loctite on that area and assemble. The Loctite is #680 which is something I use to retain bearings, bushings etc on transmissions. I found that a little reminant on the steel table will stick whatever lays on it for more than a few minutes. It then takes a lot of force to break the bond.
    This is good to know. I'm not that knowledgeable about Loctite. I didn't know you could use it like that. I thought it was only good for threads. I think my attempt will be to get the hex or Torx button head screws, and some Loctite #680. I'll clean the contact surfaces with alcohol, then soft assemble with a couple of drops of the #680 Loctite. Then give everything a good, solid torqueing. If that doesn't hold it, I don't know what will. If it can hold a bearing in a race, it should be able to keep a heat shield from moving under recoil. I'm having trouble finding 3/16-18 button head hex or Torx screws .875 long in both blued and Stainless finish.

Please let us know how it works out for you.
    Certified Armed Infidel

Will do just as soon as I can find the screws.

I'm starting to think the guy from RIA who E-Mailed me, didn't know what he was talking about when he told be the thread size on the heat shield screws was 3/16ths. I can't find 3/16th screws anywhere. They go from 1/4" to 5/16". Even McMaster Carr has no such thing. If they don't have it no one does. I wish I could find an exploded view of the M-5 showing the heat shield, along with the screw fasteners.

Do you have a "Fastner" store there. Take one of the old screws to them & they can gauge it for you. I can't swear to it, but I think they refer to screws below 1/4" by a number, rather than the size.