PDA

View Full Version : Range trip cut short (barrel link fail!!!)

drband
July 4th, 2014, 04:23 PM
Went to the local range to fire off a few with my son today-- several pistols. My heretofore flawless RIA 1911 stopped cycling as my son was firing it. A round would fire, but the slide did not cycle... but would cycle the fired round out by hand and be ready to go. Next try, same thing. I fired it-- same issue, then the slide seemed to hang up a bit. Dropped the mag and was still stuck in battery. Jiggled and wiggled till it seemed to release and cycled the fired round out. Then tried to field strip. The slide stop pin seemed quite difficult to remove, though it did come out with a little coaxing. When I got the slide off, the barrel link top fell out (part that the slide stop pin goes through).
Now I know what a 1911 does when the barrel link fails!:confused: It could have been worse-- I usually carry this pistol in colder weather when it's easier to conceal-- would have been a problem for sure if I had needed it in a pinch.
Ordered a new link & pin and a spare of each. At least it's an easy fix.:biggrin:
Enjoy your Independence Day holiday, all!!

Michael T
July 4th, 2014, 10:03 PM
Happens now and then. Was shooting a friends Springfield 1911 one day and it jammed slide opened . We struggled and finely got slide pin out . It was bent bad . This result of cheaper made parts instead of forged steel . If you want good parts you got to research and pay the price . Colt is good Kimber close to Colt in price but loaded with MIN parts . So price isn't main consideration Research before you buy. Or else buy and plan on switching some parts for better quality.

drband
July 10th, 2014, 11:12 PM
Got replacement parts today! Put in a new barrel link and pin tonight and my function test seems good in all ways. Now to get to the range-- maybe this weekend.
BTW used Wilson Combat parts that just dropped in with no fitting, though they were really tight at first. A drop of oil and hand cycling several times seemed to "adjust" the fit adequately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigCityChief
July 11th, 2014, 08:21 AM
Good for you - Happy Shooting!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Michael T
July 11th, 2014, 10:38 PM
I have had good luck with Wilson Parts I have used his bullet proof I believe its called. A little expensive but in a critical part .I think worth the extra if a SD pistol