PDA

View Full Version : Questions

Horseshoe
May 1st, 2013, 07:03 PM
Ok. I am completely new to 1911's. I do know how to field strip and have video's to do complete tear downs. So I will not ask about that.

1. How often should I tear down to firing pin to clean it out? I field strip, clean, lube rail/barrel etc after every outing.

2. What tools should I get? I just did my second strip and clean without a bushing tool, but if it makes I easier to get the tool I will get it.

3. Do's/don't

I do have to say, this Colt does shoot quite nice. I love it already. I am now looking for holsters. I want a UGB but hate to buy without seeing one in person to see if I like it. After I get a holster it will be my new open carry gun.

Michael T
May 2nd, 2013, 10:36 AM
If you had no trouble with the bushing then no need for wrench . I shoot spray cleaner in my firing pin channel . As to breaking it down I say that depends on how much you shoot . I might break down 1 time a year. Remember I don't shoot more that 50 rounds at a time in my large caliber guns . I still say unless you just want to play and burn ammo Your wasting ammo and not training.

Horseshoe
May 2nd, 2013, 12:07 PM
I accomplished the task, it wasn't "easy" or "pleasant" but I got it done.

I disassembled firing pin on first cleaning from factory, just hoping I can avoid doing it each time. I may just play it by ear.

Thanks.

mitchr
May 2nd, 2013, 12:42 PM
I also use the brake cleaner spray in the FP hole everytime I clean. I pulled the FP after about 500 rounds & channel was clean, so I think spraying does a decent job of keeping it clean.

gtgeorge
May 3rd, 2013, 04:54 AM
I shoot mine a lot so I do a complete dis-assembly about every 3 months both frame and slide. That is somewhere around 2K+ rounds down range.

Mixed Gas
May 3rd, 2013, 09:47 PM
I pop my firing pin out each time, my eye is gettin use to it bounsin off it now.

Oh yes, never lubricate the pin and the firing pin chamber, run it dry.

bobbysfd
May 5th, 2013, 08:34 AM
Once you have the firing pin out what you really need to keep clean is the extractor channel, order some small brushes from justins brush co.
The extractor can get gunk behind the hook which is difficult to clean in situ, and can cause unnecessary jams.

KoolAid Drinker
May 19th, 2013, 05:26 PM
I pop my firing pin out each time, my eye is gettin use to it bounsin off it now.

Oh yes, never lubricate the pin ot the firing pin chamber, run it dry.
Why is this? I put a very light film on my pin and spring. It's never hurt anything, besides it does move.

mitchr
May 19th, 2013, 05:52 PM
Why is this? I put a very light film on my pin and spring. It's never hurt anything, besides it does move.

May be okay if a very, very, light film of oil. But you don't want anything there to catch & hold crud in the channel. I run mine dry, but if you're going to remove & clean every time, guess it won't matter so much.

R.C.
May 21st, 2013, 07:27 AM

Oh yes, never lubricate the pin ot the firing pin chamber, run it dry.

Mixed Gas is correct most gunsmiths will tell you that lubrication of the pin and channel will only cause problems with dirt and grime. These are not pressure loaded parts and load ware is non existent. Lots of people get lube in the channel via the firing pin hole when lubricating their guns then never pull the pin to clean out the channel. A thin coat of molybdenum Di-sulfide would be the answer here.

gtgeorge
May 21st, 2013, 08:10 AM
Mixed Gas is correct most gunsmiths will tell you that lubrication of the pin and channel will only cause problems with dirt and grime. These are not pressure loaded parts and load ware is non existent. Lots of people get lube in the channel via the firing pin hole when lubricating their guns then never pull the pin to clean out the channel. A thin coat of molybdenum Di-sulfide would be the answer here.

Like KG-10?

R.C.
May 21st, 2013, 04:31 PM
Yes I should have said that, just like KG-10

Sent from the ZOO using Tapatalk 2